Michele Kearney's Nuclear Wire

Major Energy and Environmental News and Commentary affecting the Nuclear Industry.

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Are Coal Power Plants Now too Expensive to Pursue?

Are Coal Power Plants Now too Expensive to Pursue?

A couple years ago I had lunch with a top executive of one of the state’s leading utilities. Here’s the gist of the question I put to him.
I know you guys want to build a new coal plant nearby here, and I believe you when you say you fully intend to sequester CO2 down the road. But here’s the problem. You can’t even begin building without first raising the price of electricity. We can argue how much – 15, 20, 30 percent – but we all know it’s going to go up.”
He nodded.
Well, I’m not an economist, but I do Read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment